Mortal Kombat Conquest is a live-action television series based on the fighting games. I have watched the first 5 episodes and have the following thoughts on this:
– For games that are noted for their brutality, it is clear that these shows are overly clean and bloodless. The games were noted for there brutal fatalities and also there out-there characters. Most of this has been toned down for the show. Although sub-zero and scorpion still showed up, they used their powers in a very limited way (probably to keep within the special effects budget).
– The acting is horrible. But the dialogue is even worse. There are times when it is cringe-worthy as characters deliver silly, stilted dialogue. Emoting was obviously beyond allot of the actors who were chosen because they simply looked the part.
– Raiden as the thunder-god is still useless and reactionary. There are many times when the rules of Mortal Kombat are broken, and calling him would solve the problems immediately. However, they never do because that would solve the issues very simply.
– It is interesting what they are doing with Shao Kahn. They are turning him into a paranoid ruler of a realm that is arid and dying. It could be interesting to see where this goes, but I imagine by the end that all this will be dropped.
– The fight scenes are also bad, but weirdly fun. It is interesting to see all the flips and the like that are impractical and don’t even look that cool. It is like watching a train wreck. They are also somehow getting worse as the show goes on.
I will probably finish watching this, but I will have it on more as background noise. Definitely not one I would recommend at all.