After watching Roadblock, I thought I would try to summarise my main problems with WWE currently compared to previous eras:
- Matches are Booked Before Rivalry: The matches are booked, and then the rivalry is built up. This means that wrestlers are mostly thrown randomly into number 1 contenders match and then they try to build a rivalry. For example, why is Dolph Ziggler a number 1 contender for AJ Styles. Is it because he lost so much….
- Throw-away matches: Matches don’t mean anything. Losses don’t mean anything. Dolph hasn’t won anything for ages before his number 1 contender match. At least Corbin had a reason to be there. And he did this by….
- Trilogies: Every feud needs to now be a trilogy. Corbin vs Kalisto had so many matches until a blow-off match. Why does every feud need to have so many matches? Maybe because they are scared of leaving their golden boys…
- Losing Clean (or Never Being Allowed To):Everything has to be a trilogy. And the baby faces are never allowed to lose clean. How many times did the Bullet Club have to help AJ Styles win? Bray Wyatt should be a terrifying force, but no match of his happens without Luke Harper interfering these days. And Rusev isn’t getting a clean win these days, because stopping perverts from banging his wife somehow makes him a ….
- Confusing Heels: How is Rusev a heel? If Enzo doesn’t try to take advantage of Lana, then nothing bad happens to him. Of course Cass has to come out and bully Rusev now, relying on Enzo hitting on Lana while Rusev is in a fight. Similarly, why is Cena trying to keep talent out of the top (AJ Styles) as a gatekeeper means he is a babyface? Seth Rollins whining that Triple H helped Owens instead of him makes him a hero?
I was going to write about how I would have booked Roadblock, but WWE makes me sad these days. Allot of these things they got right in the Attitude Era. But then people think it was only due to swearing and blood.